PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it really worth being a helicopter pilot now?
Old 24th Jan 2012, 14:24
ec135driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't resist my 2 cents worth:

Helicopter flying is absolutely the best thing I have ever done, workwise. Actually its difficult to think of it as work, but I get paid so technically it is.

I joined HM RN the same course as Thomas Coupling and I have to say I think he is being a bit shortsighted. I never made it to flying in the Military so I can't say anything negative about it (that of course does not stop TC being negative about flying he has never done but........c'est la vie)

Some of my best moments have been teaching civvies (like me) to fly piston singles, like the 14 your old that could hover as soon as he touched the controls - amazing natural skill. Or taking an R22 to 12,500' over the Arizona desert and being very very careful how I managed the RRPM. Its a skill every bit as challenging as flying a SK at 100' over the water on NVG.

Now I have flown Corporate, HEMS, Police, USL, winching, singles, twins, piston, turbine, I teach, examine and learn. Did my first ever NVG flight only 10 days ago.

Has it been worth it? very definitely.
Has it been financially worth it? what else would I spent my money on and how many days would I have spent sitting in an office wishing I was a helicopter pilot?