PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V Force fatalities
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2012, 09:33
814man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slight thread drift!
I recall an incident when I was but a young SAC acting Cpl (unpaid unloved etc) doing my time on the SSA at Waddington when a Vulcan ran off the end of the runway near to the A15. I recall from my viewpoint on top of a D Building seeing fire and smoke from the undercarriage and the crew made a hasty exit running smartly away from aircraft as fire crew arrived quickly to put out flames. I seem to recall that the aircraft ended up quite close to the boundary fence and caused a few second glances from passing motorists on the A15. I also seem to think it took a few days to move it. I’m sure there must be some photos somewhere.
This must have happened between late 79 and Feb 82 but I would guess late summer 81.
An added factor was that the incident occurred in the middle of the major annual security exercise, which may explain the very quick arrival of the fire crews as I think they, and most of the station resources, were massing on Bravo dispersal to come and rescue us in the SSA!
I don’t know if this happened at the end of a landing or at an aborted take off but sure someone will.
Just note that some of my memories of the above may have been adversely affected by levels of alcohol intake during subsequent 10 years in RAFG!