PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 24th Jan 2012, 08:07
Black Pudding

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ronburgandy

Some advice for you

If asked which fleet you want, tell them any.

Would you be joining as a first officer or as a captain ?

If you're joining as a first officer, I am guessing the 320 would be the best fleet for you to see your family the most.

The 330 guys and 777 guys are away from Doha a lot which is ok if you don't have a family here or a very understanding wife.

All aircraft here are work horses. I have first officer friends on the 320 who hate it, I also have first officer friends on the 777 who hate it. You either like it or you don't. What I must point out is some love the 777 and also some love the 320, so it depends on the person and circumstances.

I never hear many 330 first officers complaining, but if and when they have been changed to frieghters and that could change ?

Regarding fleet for career progression, anybody's guess. If you join 320, when you have 5000 hours and 3 years in the company, you will proberbly get command.

The 320 is not a bad fleet to be on and depends what it is you want in life. Some people hate it and some people love it. The problem with pprune is you only here from those who hate it. The 320 rating is a better rating to have and is a golden ticket to getting another job should you or Qatar decide you're not going to be working here anymore.

With the exception of guys who do not like the Middle East can anyone please tell me why Qatar Airways is loosing so many pilots?
Don't go Qatar mate. They're losing 160+ pilots a year because of the airline's attitude
As of today, we have just over 1700 pilots although I am guessing the last couple of 100 are in training

People leave or get sacked.

They either leave because the have been here for several years and want to have a change in life or location

They may want to return to their home country where jobs are picking up

They may have been sacked because they did not perform as they should have done during training

They may of been sacked because they have done something very stupid and put themselves or others at risk

I am not sure where this 160 pilots a year figure came from, but considering there is over 1500 pilots in Qatar, is 160 a year a big deal considering most will be leaving because they want to. What's the big deal in this. They may find jobs that suit them more and good luck to each and everyone of them.

Captain Krunch, can you remind us again on the figures for those who left in 2011 as I guess you have the facts

Some captains I have met and flown with have been in Qatar for 7 8 or 9 years and love it.

Some are longing to return to their home county, depends on individual circumstances

Some are just wanting to leave Doha

Some realise that its not too bad a place to be and get on with it

Last edited by Black Pudding; 24th Jan 2012 at 08:45.