PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting Night At YPPH - 'EASTERLIES"....
Old 24th Jan 2012, 06:37
aussie027

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My concern from reading the article and the low fuel condition getting more serious after altn fuel burnt off holding and then possibly starting to use the 30 min fixed reserve are the fact ATC mentioned rottnest, gin gin and jandakot as possible alternatives!!!
Pearce at least has a long(ish) runway and emerg RFFS on field.

Rottnest has only emerg portable lighting avail at night if I recall correctly??
Given the short, narrow runways at these 3 airports I would think a major runway over run accident would have been pretty much assured for a B737. Can you imagine what a disaster that would have been!!
Surprised ATC would have even suggested them. Especially in a world of Cover Your Ass and I accept no liability etc.

A bit different ATC suggesting nearby altns in a similar situation for eg in LA basin where there are numerous air carrier airports in close proximity that could handle an aircraft of that size with suitable rwy lengths avail etc. They wouldn't be suggesting a tiny GA airfield with a sub 1000m rwy in that situation.

If the sfc wind was approx110/40 as mentioned above at Perth and in excess of the max Xwind for the type on rwy 06 and an emerg landing was required due low fuel or impending exhaustion I would think Perth would have definitely been the place to attempt a landing given rwy lengths, RFFS & emerg services availability, 24/7 manned airport etc etc rather than any of the other places offered by ATC as possible altns.
Obviously up to PIC to ultimately decide and thankfully it didnt come to the worst case scenario.

Last edited by aussie027; 24th Jan 2012 at 06:50.