PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetGo Australia????
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2012, 00:10
Cactusjack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BARS Folly

I know for a fact they are having a SMS written system which complies with the BARS audit.
Who cares. BARS is NOT the standard. SMS has to comply with the requirements outlined in 82.3 and 82.5. ICAO mandated SMS and CASA as the 'state' has implemented a set of rules and regs under SMS. BARS is merely a 'tool' that the resource sector get a chubby over as they think BARS is the solution to all things safety, which is absolute bollocks.
If their SMS is based solely on BARS then you can expect CASA to 'snicker in the corner and hold back the laughter' when they reveiw your SMS. BARS is a product marketed and created by some clever Consultants who are making big dollars flogging it as 'the pinacle of aviation safety' to the resource sector whose primary business is just that - resources, not aviation! I have assisted two organisations implement SMS and each of those organisations has a stronger SMS that far outweighs BARS. Also those two organisations receive regular scheduled CASA AOC audits and HART Aviation audits as well as numerous other external audits, and neither need BARS to make them safer or of a higher standard.

Its not a CASA requirement, its a requirement that most of the resource sector are asking of their suppliers and vendors in the interest of safety.
Which is not a requirement - BARS or SMS? Just want to clarify that point.

'Jetgo are simply implementing a SMS system into their operation early which makes perfect sense for any new operator as they have a clear slate and a system to follow from the beginning. Like Ascend Charlie say's, These guys are doing it all right from the start. They aren't required to have a SMS system but they are choosing to do it and i can tell you from experience, it isn't cheap..
Oh dear. Not required to have an SMS you say? Obviosuly they aren't a HICAP or LOCAP operator because if they are then you are in deep sh#t as it is a requiremnt under 82.3 and 82.5 for them to have an SMS. The red flag is already at half mast on this mob!!

I can also tell you this company is real and by all intents will be operational in the next few months! They have crew at FSI , and have crossed most of the "T'S.... I know of several operators have been turned away from clients because of non BARS compliance... It wont be long before its 'standard' to have these in place....Expensive for the operator at $20K a year but, good for people such as myself that are in the SMS industry!
20k you reckon? Some consultant is bleeding you dry my friend. If you understood the principles and elements of a SMS you would realise it will not cost you a massive amount of the green stuff.
SMS is not an 'add on' to your company's safety structure, it is interwoven and the foundation of your safety structure, it is a living, breathing process, not some manual or 'add on'.

If you have been hoodwinked into setting up your company structure based upon BARS then you are doomed. Google ICAO and CASA as a starting point for SMS information as you obviously need some assistance. Otherwise I can set it up for you for 10k and still be home for dinner!!