PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC2 The Real Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines
Old 23rd Jan 2012, 23:52
poetpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm only posting 'cos I don't want you to think I've posted a contentious post and not answered it. But Stik and the others have made the arguments I would have put forward, so no point in labouring them.

As TV programmes on aviation go it was;

1. Informative
2. Human
3. Fun
4. Reasonably accurate
5. Hammed up a bit for the entertainment value.
6. Not anorakky.

Thinking about the many other completely rubbish aviation progs shown (who saw that absolutely awful "10 scariest landings" garbage last week ? groan... then this one was pretty damn good. If it put anyone off by way of promoting the raw adventure and spirit of the sport, then those people would not have really been right for the sport anyway.

The reality is that most micro schools/clubs I've had dealings with (and I now run one myself) promote the adventure side whilst balancing it with professionalism in training and mentoring. The sport is as safe (if not safer in some regards) as GA, and in many respects mirrors the pro GA approach, regulating itself (since the late 80s when it got a grip on itself) pretty well. If it didn't I'm sure the CAA would have hammered it before now.