PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay & HKCAD colour vision requirements
Old 23rd Jan 2012, 19:00
1900_Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cathay & HKCAD colour vision requirements

Greetings,

I have a few questions regarding the medical process for colour vision at Cathay. In December, I completed the final interview in Hong Kong for the Second Officer position. Unfortunately, the medical department has stated that I have a weakness in colour vision and require an FAA OCVT (operational colour vision test) or UKCAA colour vision testing for colour deficiency.

Prior to the selection process, I held a Canadian ATPL with an unrestricted class 1 medical. After I completed the Cathay medical, the colour vision results did not meet HKCAD requirements. Subsequently, Cathay has asked me to complete an FAA OCVT, which is a secondary practical test given by an FAA inspection who will determine if your colour vision is suitable for a Class1.

Since I only held a Canadian Class 1 medical, the FAA initially required me to complete and fail the colour vision portion of their class 1 medical prior to making a request for an OCVT. Now here is where the problem lies! Recently, I successfully completed the FAA Class One medical certificate with no restrictions, in which the colour vision test comprised of the AOH-R-R-Pseudoisochromatic plates.

Given that I passed the colour vision requirements for the FAA, the Eastern aerospace division will not authorize an OCVT. As a rule, an OCVT is only mandatory in cases where an applicant fails the colour vision portion of the initial FAA Class 1 medical; and is then requested through the Civil Aerospace Medical Institute (AAM-300). Upon seeking special permission for an OCVT from the FAA Eastern Regional Flight Surgeon, she would not approve it since I have passed the medical. Furthermore, they do not provide secondary test for employment purposes. Presently, the Cathay medical department sill insist on the necessity of the OCVT, regardless of the FAA class 1. Has anybody ever encountered this problem before?

It would be greatly appreciated if somebody can provide insight as to what can be done to satisfy the HKCAD requirements. As well, has anybody completed the UKCAA test at Gatwick for colour vision? Can a request be made for the test directly, or do I have to do a JAA medical first?

Thanking you in advance for your time and attention.

Fly Safe,
-1900_Driver