PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it really worth being a helicopter pilot now?
Old 23rd Jan 2012, 16:05
Garfs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you were to follow your head then I'd say no, follow ur heart, then yes.

I left a well paid job and did my CPL in Australia and was lucky enough to pick up work soon after my CPL. Showing your face always helps, I remember the base manager of one place in particular (I believe the most busy helipad in the country) telling me that out of every 100 CV's or so only one or two showed their face.

I was on crappy pay, worked long hours, but I was (and still am) single with no commitments so was having a ball, coz I was being paid to fly helicopters, something I love. It made up for all the ****ty moments. I was in the outback, meeting various Euro backpacker girls coming through and working in the pub in my spare time to earn my keep. Had an absolute ball.

Financially I was not well of at all, but I didnt really care at the time. You are very young so I'd say if its in your heart, go for it. If after a 7-8 yrs it hasnt worked out, you will still be young (25 ish) and have time to go for something else.

I am very fortunate to have secured a well paid job now and am will be sent for my IR then TR on a twin soon all going well, fully paid for by the company. If I didnt try, I would still be dreaming. I realise not everyone will have the same luck I have had to date, but if you dont try u dont know, and you have age on your side.

All the best with your decision.