PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Michael O'Leary talking about pilots
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2012, 15:36
Desk-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very interesting

Thanks for posting this - it's very interesting and I was genuinely surprised by how charismatic and intelligent he is. If you didn't know how he abuses his employees and what a cold arsed bastard he really is you could be forgiven for thinking he's a good guy.

I actually think the fact he is a smiling assassin makes him even more deadly. You guys in Ryanair had seriously better get your act together and get union representation, not just for the sake of yourselves but for the sake of the whole industry in Europe. The truth is that many of you thought that by keeping your head down, accepting being treated like sh*t for a couple of years you could then leave and move onto something better. The trouble is that those airlines that once offered richer pastures are either shrinking because of the competition from Ryanair or they are changing their employment terms to resemble those at Ryanair. If you let this guy railroad terms and conditions for another 10 years there will simply be nowhere left worth going that is still hiring.

I don't believe making pilots pay for application screening, sim ride, selection, type ratings, uniforms, water, food, hotels, or required business travel is ethical. I don't believe upsetting people's family life by forcing them to move base every so often or making all your employees contractors in order to avoid the costs of holiday, sick pay and pensions is ethical either. Make no mistake these things are normally offered to those who are employed by reputable and decent organisations and all of them can be yours if you join together collectively in a union.

The only person with anything to fear from unionisation should be Michael O'Leary. You can shaft one pilot but you cannot shaft 2000 joined by collective agreement.