PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it really worth being a helicopter pilot now?
Old 23rd Jan 2012, 14:57
gnow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been flying helicopters for 35 years ...from military, bush and offshore. My son is about the same age as you are having just completed year 12. At the moment there is a great shortage of heli pilots in my country BUT I am telling my son that if he wants to fly Rule no 1 is dont fly helicopters. To fly helicopters and take it as a career you need a certain type of out going personality and in my opinion this is best developed from the military and he is not keen on a military caReer. Rule No2 ..go get yourself at least a degree because most airlines hire only graduates and machines nowadays are geting sophiscated so I believe an education will be an asset.
Dont you know that flying a helicopter is much like flying an airliner esp if you are in offshore work. Not much of hands on. Yes you can argue that bush flying is real flying but you will be flying some old tech machines which are arguably more fun to fly BUT do not fetch much in jterms of pay.
At the end of the day it is your choice.....