PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it really worth being a helicopter pilot now?
Old 23rd Jan 2012, 13:51
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's look at the content of your question? Is it WORTH.....
If you mean financially, then almost certainly the question is a big NO. 95% of all helo pilots globally don't earn big bucks. A tiny fraction do - so it is feasible.
If you mean worth it from a rewarding perspective, then this is much more achievable and the reason for this is that MOST helo jobs are rewarding. A tiny fraction aren't.

Approach your future with this uppermost in your mind and you won't be disappointed when you get there Rdog.

I have done mil / charter / police / EMS in my time and the most rewarding was the Mil without question - not only because of the challenges of the job but because you were surrounded by like minded people who were all very professional and talked shop 24/7.
A very close 2nd is police for predominently the same reasons.

My batting order for fulfillment(top down):
FUN
Flying sophisticated expensive technology.
Challenging tasks.

My don't go there list:
Crappy jobs which are repetitive: Oil rigs/Instructing civvies/wire surveys.
Crappy helicopters: single engine pistons.
Crappy bosses.

IF you want to fly helos to be able to climb into bed at the end of the day and say to yourself: Jackpot! (everyday):
do everything in your power to get your tickets and then target a specific job and go for it full on.
It can be done, I have seen a couple of 'non starters' become fully fledged professional helo jocks within 2 years.

Forget CV's get your face in front of the Boss man....enjoy and keep the ball in the middle.