PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happened to the "impossible turns" thread?
Old 23rd Jan 2012, 10:41
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whatever happens, it will come as a shock! That's exactly right, Fullwings, and in this discussion, as Ghengis reminds us, is about the "impossible turn"!

In power, practicing that pukertime option always seemed to me not quite exciting enough; the instructor pulls back the power, and says "Now what you gonna do?" And you know very well to lower the nose and say "I am going to land ahead!" whereupon the Instructor fires up the engine, and you carry on with the rest of the lesson.

Which is why I think all you chaps with the mindset of (1) radio emergency!
(2) try to restart engine (3) get back to the airfield if possible, could use some launch failure training at a glider winch site! Because when that cable is gone, your "engine" is really really gone, and you've got to actually deal with what to do next. Is the "impossible turn" an option or not?

After 8 or 10 cable breaks, the trained response is set in the brain, so when it happens for real, you've seen it before and know what to do.