PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackbushe Memories (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2012, 10:25
oggers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wonderful thread.

I remember the music festival - Dylan, Clapton et al. 1978. Entry £6 if memory serves, though my mum actually walked in through a gap in the corrugated iron which was falling down by the evening. She'd have been 60 at the time!

The air display(s?) of the mid '70s. Rothmans Display Team is about all I can recall.

One day cycling across the north side en-route to the kart track I noticed the field was occupied by squadrons of aircraft, which turned out to be wooden boards. Very convincing though. Must've been the film.

Here's a couple of things I didn't notice in the thread: there was a series of drag races in the late seventies. Something of a regular event at the time. Entry fee - I just cycled in from Yateley common. Great value. And please somebody, anybody, comfirm I didn't dream this - a round or two of the FRENCH 2CV Cross Championship on the old MX track!! The main job of the marshalls being to push the cars upright when they rolled over - a seemingly minor impediment to good progress in that class of racing.

Oh, and the johnny-come-lately residents of the nearby housing development of the late seventies - including the obligatory local councillor - who did eventually succeed in getting the kart track closed down for a while before the secratary of state put them back in their box The president of the kart club was one Emmerson Fittipaldi. And he DID visit.