PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it really worth being a helicopter pilot now?
Old 23rd Jan 2012, 09:16
Rdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it really worth being a helicopter pilot now?

Hey, my name is Ryan, and just today I started Year 12 in Gold Coast, Australia.

I just want to show a little background of myself before you know why I could question such a thing. So...

Ever since grade 8 I wanted to become a pilot. And so I was lucky enough to be enrolled in a school called "Aviation High" which (understandably) is a school that focuses on the aviation industry. I've been flying aircraft since I was 15 and I love it, love it enough to want a career out of it. I had no interested in the Military so I imagined to be a Airline pilot.

But it didn't take me long to realise the rising concern on level of Aircraft automation, decrease in pay (sourced from captain sullunbergs book) and the personal sacrifice of barely seeing your family, spending most of your nights sleeping in a hotel room. (also sourced from his book)

All I wanted was to FLY aircraft, not monitor computer screens. And I realised that Helicopters could be a great option as they are still advanced, Fun to FLY! as they will most likely never become so automatic as airline aircraft. and since most have a comparatively short range, I could always be close to family. (for most jobs atleast) I finally thought I had a solution.

But I've been talking... To other helicopter pilots and its becoming very clear the vast majority of helicopter pilots have a second job or business to co-onside with flying helicopters. I was utterly gutted when I came to terms with this fact.

I vaguely know how much it costs to train in a helicopter in America, (guessing thats where this website is from) but in Australia its about $60,000+. How the hell could I afford that? Without a student loan it could take me like 2-3 years?

So even If I have my CPL, and when I get my first job I dam well know I'm going be a legal slave, working for very little, (and from what I've heard) for FREE. as I'm spending the vast majority of my time doing chores, cleaning hangers helicopters and ect ect. Only then I get rewarded with boasting my hours up.

But if I knew that after gaining enough respectable hours. That I will end up with a secure and well paying job. I'll do it. But (as mentioned earlier) I had a serious talk to a helicopter trainer. He told me how It's hard to come by to have a stable and well paid job. and most of the helicopter pilots he knows, have 2nd jobs and businesses even AFTER investing $60,000 AFTER doing lame chores on ****ty pay for a few years gain hours.

But I do understand not all helicopter pilots are struggling, I'll imagine private hired pilots and corporate pilots especially have a secure and well paid job.

Don't get me wrong I'm a passionate pilots that loves to fly and will do so much for it! but after thinking about these circumstances I would have to face, I can't comprehend why I would invest so much of my money, sacrifice so much, for such a dismal Career...