PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay to Fly (Merged Feb '12)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2012, 05:28
Poeli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something from another perspective: I'm a wannabe since 10 years now (when I was around 12). From my 18 I've been looking for oppertunities to start flight training (ATPL). I had every chance to go to the bank, get some money and start flight training.. Maybe I wouldn't speak like this now if I had done it.
But what I feel is that a lot of guys who participate in the P2F are screwing things up for people who come after them. Why would an airline pay anyone to fly for them if they can get someone who pays THEM to fly?

I feel very angry every time I read stuff like this. The only one responsible for what you did, how much money you spent on flight training is YOU. Don't go ruin terms and conditions of other pilots because you suffer from the big shiny jet syndrome. Some say it's their only option. Well, why didn't you think about it before you started flight training? I'm at uni hoping to still go for flight training after I graduate. But every person who does P2F is less chance for others to go. I have common sense, I don't want to pay for work.

I'd rather be a C208 pilot all my life and get paid then fly 40 years on some 737 (like KAG said). Is it a shame to fly smaller airplanes and get paid to do so? You might say: 'there are no jobs, even for small airplanes'. Again, didn't you know this before you started flight training? I mean, I don't know how much money each one of you spent, but you should at least have had a B plan (and no, paying to fly is not a solid B-plan).
I really have trouble to understand all of this. You began flight training with the hope to go directly on a big shiny jet for the rest of your life. You invested a few times 10k and now you only see that there are not enough jobs for people with your expierence? I just don't buy it. Instead of doing another job (maybe in aviation, maybe not) and try to pay off you go to a corrupt company making you pay again for some hours. A position that should be a paid one. You are making more debts to probably get out of debts.

The only thing I want to add is: thank you idiots who p2fly. You're not only screwing an entire market up for yourself (I wouldn't care if it was only that), but also for others, young wannabe's, but at the same moment older pilots. This has gone from paying for a typerating to paying for line training. What's next, pay to do a walk around? Pay landing taxes at the airport you fly to as p2f pilot?