PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who gets cheesed off taking fellow pilots up flying?
Old 22nd Jan 2012, 22:44
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 442 Likes on 234 Posts
Which works fine for hairy-@rsed old bu66ers like you and me Jock, but I think perhaps a group of young men with a few authority-gradient issues need a little more support, most likely as a group.
The recently published report on the Catterick Puma crash makes some very interesting reading in that respect. A flat cockpit gradient, peer pressure and "risky shift" were all very much apparent on that tragic occasion.

I learned my lesson about respecting the cockpit gradient some thirty years ago, when I was on my first tour, in an RAF Puma helicopter. We were hover-taxying across the airfield one night when the windscreens began misting up. I reached up and switched on the windscreen heaters without informing or asking the captain (the sadly missed but infamous George Blackie, Glaswegian QHI), who was handling pilot at the time. He told me if I ever touched a switch on "his" top switch panel again, without asking, he would break my ****ing fingers off and shove them where the sun don't shine.

He was right, I was wrong. Correct CRM is of paramount importance when two pilots fly together.