PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Africa World Airlines
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2012, 21:01
flyafricaworld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I note that the AW code has been allocated by IATA on a provisional basis, as it currently belongs to Rutas Aereas de Venezuela, and is shown as such in the GDS systems.
Once again, not quite accurate. AW is presently issued as a controlled duplicate to ourselves and Alwafeer Air of Saudi Arabia. Alwafeer is an exclusively charter operation with no distribution or operational overlap.

IATA no longer does provisional allocations. You have to meet the criteria for full allocation before they will issue you a code. The code is rescinded after 18 months of non-operation or if surrendered by the operator. My assumption is that the Venezuelan carrier referenced is no longer in operation and their code has been withdrawn, but the GDS systems have not yet updated with this info.

Have you planned routes, aircraft procurement, and distribution channels?
Yes we have, in great detail. Distribution especially is an area that we are investing heavily, in sharp contrast to most African airlines. If you don't mind, I'll quote from our press information package to avoid saying too little or too much.

Africa World Airlines intends to offer a value-oriented product utilising Embraer ERJ-145 regional jet aircraft domestically. Subsequent plans include an expansion into West African markets using larger aircraft types. The focus will be on offering a baseline “no frills” product at lowest possible cost and generating ancillary revenues from value added services. The airline will use technology to create locally customised "direct to consumer" channels for marketing and sales, including a reliance on indigenous networks such as mobile phone based systems for booking and payment. The route network will be structured to create a hub-and-spoke model centred upon Accra, allowing seamless one-change connections between multiple city pairs on a single ticket for the first time in Ghana. The company has selected Navitaire’s “New Skies” system for reservations and related activities, and the Navitaire “Geneva” suite for Flight Operations support.

I would like to join those who have wished you success. West Africa needs a properly run airline, run by people from the aviation industry rather than tribal chiefs and politicans who want large fingers in the small pie. I hope you can achieve this.
Thanks for the wishes. Our management team have all had experience of being frustrated in airlines run by people "who want large fingers in small pies", so we are working hard to try to develop a different culture here. It is difficult to change the perception of employees, regulators and customers overnight though! Time will tell if we are successful.