PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackbushe Memories (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2012, 18:19
guzzirider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blackbushe memories

Just found this thread. I worked at the ground control (1966/7?) under Reg, and later Ralph Bundy(?). Mike Sheehy was in the tower at that stage and bought my green mini van from me. All the memories are flooding back.

Mrs.Judd and her pretty daughter. AVM Bennet driving the annual CAA inspector around in his Aston, and not a fibreglass Fairthorpe. Getting into trouble regularly for roaring back from checking the runways in the landrover with Mike turning the ignition off and on with subsequent backfires. Driving the fire engine out to evict trespassers and the Three Counties guys calling out the AA when it broke down again. Very funny for them.

I was there when they filmed 'Girl on a motorcycle' and we put the subsequent fire out three times, I think, as we jumped the gun while they were still filming.

The highlight of the airshow, for me, when I climbed up on the Lancaster wheel to plug in the power to start it. Neil Williams was the pilot.

A Comet on finals which realized at the last moment that we were not Farnborough! Charles Masefield's Mustang visiting while filming The Mercenaries somewhere.

Lighting the 'Goosenecks' at the sides of the runway from the passenger side of the Landrover and many more happy memories.

A very happy time.

David

Last edited by guzzirider; 23rd Jan 2012 at 06:03. Reason: error