PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vickers Viscount-Aviation's Aristocracy
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2012, 13:55
kala87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I made my first ever flight in KLM Viscount PH-VIF from LHR to AMS on September 30 1958. We left from the north side of "London Airport" as it was in those days. A full English Breakfast was served on the flight and we had great views of the English countryside through the huge windows as we climbed out at a stately pace. Cruising height was FL150. We were each given a "Captain's Log" of the flight with details such as the aircraft name (Leonardo da Vinci) and Captain's name. Thorough people, the Dutch.

During the next few years I enjoyed several other Viscount flights out to East Africa and back, by Sudan Airways and Airwork. The Viscount was used for long-haul as well in those days, especially by charter operators, although of course it had to make a refuelling stop every 1000nm or so. It was a very comfortable and quiet aircraft to fly in, without the teeth-rattling vibration of the big piston airliners of the day. With only about 60 pax on a typical flight and those huge picture windows, every flight was a pleasure.