PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Colour Vision??
Thread: Colour Vision??
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2012, 07:33
Hopetofly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colour Vision??

Hey Guys, complete newbie here so go easy I am currently training for my PPL and hopefully when im finished i'll continue modular training with the hope of landing an airline job some day!

I found out that i was colour vision deficient a couple of years ago.. I was shocked as I had no idea! I read numerous post on the internet about not being allowed to be a commercial pilot if colour blind, so i resigned to the fact that id only ever fly with a PPL. But i came across a post from a guy in a similar situation to mine and he had obtained a class 1 by doing a "holmes-wright lantern test". I rang the AME that exams for the Irish aviation authority and asked if i could take this test without taking the rest of the medical as i didnt want to fork out the €600 to fail on the colour test.

So i went to the clinic and he gave me the standard colour test that everone receives when doing a class one, the "ishihara" test plates. I struggled with a few of the plates and he then confirmed i was colour deficient...So on to the next step, the lantern test. For those lucky enough to have never seen one, its basically a black box that shine 3 very small LEDs (red,white and green) you sit about 5 metres away and the box shows two lights at a time and you have to identify them. After the test the examiner told me the news i was waiting for - i was slightly colour deficient but not to the extent that i could not hold a class one!

He sent on my results to the IAA and i received a letter from them to say "if i were to complete the rest of the class one medical exam without issue, they would be able to issue me with a class one medical cert without restrictions" i was delighted. I still have not went back to finish the rest of the medical but im pretty sure im fit enough for the rest of the tests! I plan to do it before i start the atpl's and hour building.

My question is, do airlines make you do their own company medical during a job application or do they skip it seeing as you hold a class one? Im just afraid of completing my training, going to an interview and being given a company medical which is going to use the ishihara test plates and ill fail that.

Is anyone here in the same boat or can anyone give any advice?

Thanks in advance