PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why I turned down Cathay Pacific (SO Transition)
Old 22nd Jan 2012, 01:38
Flytiger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have an interesting approach to it all.

Take what I say with a grain of salt. I am not a pilot, but older than you and have a good career in a well respected profession (on the ground).

First, you cannot put a price on clean air. HK doesn't have that.

Second, the SQ A380 decision is already suffering blowback. All new ships have a risk of having problems but this is going to be a huge pr problem for SQ (and others). After AF447, QF 32 and the cracks, the public is starting to see Airbus like they see ... well you know ...

Third, you may not get married and have children, but sound like the kind of guy who wants to do that, which is great. If that's the case isn't Aust. one of the best places to do that? Is QF hiring guys like you?

Fourth, there will be a marked flattening or even decrease in traffic in the next 20 years from Western Countries - so factor that in. We are in for a long recession as long as governments do their best to keep zombies alive and prop up unproductive assets like housing (when they should be propping up new productive industry)

Fifth, if you do decide to go with Cathay you can always live in a boat in the harbor, surely?

Sixth, you are right in thinking for yourself, because no employer, no matter what their reputation will ever do that for you. They owe duties to their stockholders above all else.

Best of luck to you.