PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LPL controlled airspace
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2002, 23:31
Night Rider

Question LPL controlled airspace

Hi all,

Today, on two separate occasions, I transited the Liverpool CTR in a light aircraft and received an excellent service from ATC - (if only other ATC units could be so helpful!)

On the first occasion I was routing from an airfield in the midlands to Blackpool. I made my initial call to Liverpool APP and was cleared to transit the Liverpool Zone VFR not above 2000ft. A few mements later I entered cloud and was unable to maintain VMC so I asked ATC if I could climb. This was approved and my transit clearance was upgraded to IFR.

I positioned myself 12nm south of WAL Vor tracking inbound to the beacon. I noticed on my chart that at 2500ft (the cleared IFR level) I would be inside the class A airspace just to the west of WAL (labelled L975/B3 2000+ on the chart).

I knew I had been cleared to transit the Liverpool CTR routing via WAL but for a moment I was uncertain if my Liverpool ATC clearance permitted me to enter the L975/B3 class A airspace. I remained outside CAS until I had verified my clearance with ATC. I do hold a current IR so flying in class A was not a problem.

Do Liverpool ATC have jurisdiction over traffic in the L975/B3 sector?

Any other comments/tips regarding the Liverpool/Manchester CTR structure and zone transit procedures (IFR and VFR) would be appreciated.

Many thanks,