PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Military to Civilian Avionics (how to do it?)
Old 21st Jan 2012, 11:33
Av Ondy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Military to Civilian Avionics (how to do it?)

Good day gentlemen.

This has probably been asked a few dozen times on here so apologise if its somewhat of a worn topic, but if you could take a little time to read my this and hopefully shed some light on what seems like a very confusing subject then id be quite grateful.

Anyway onto the subject...

Im currently serving in the Army (Avionics Class 2 Technician) working on the Apache and recently acquired my NVQ 3 in Engineering Maintenance but as im aware this means absolute bugger all in terms of transferring to Civilian Avionics. It will take a great deal longer to gain the civilian equivalent qualifications and the army no longer offers a degree as your career progresses, on top of that i really want to work on fixed wing instead on rotary.

Hence my questions are?

What can i do now, that can begin my transition to fixed wing civilian avionics?
What courses/licenses should i study whilst serving my remaining time?
Would it be better to leave ASAP and go to CAA approved school and enrol on BSC Hons etc? Cardiff for example.
Or forget about College/Uni and try to get an apprenticeship instead?

Any advice or information no matter how basic would be helpful, its really hard to find out on google etc.

Anyway that'll do for now. Thanks in advance gentlemen!

Oh and if you need to ask me questions in return go right ahead, ill check back on this regularly!