PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More pictures from North Africa Circa 1941/2
Old 21st Jan 2012, 10:17
Peter-RB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning chaps,

A few years ago I posted what I thought was all I would find from Dads part in the WW2, but I keep comming across tiny little picture of these tyes of A/c, only towards the end of his life would dad ever answer any questions about the action he saw, but the more I read pprune the more I realise those guys were from a different type of life style than us now, where two minutes ago is old news, if you get my drift,

The sad thing about these pictures just posted, is on my computer I can zoom right in to various parts of the Wellingtons enough to see what appear to be holes in the plexiglas cover of the rear turret and much destruction just under the tailplane, when I tried to expand that in Photobucket it went very blurred so sadly that size posted is at the point of best detail, ...but then it could be me it took me over 2 hours to find the reason why I could not post the picture in the earlier afternoon.

My Dad was the Nav for a pilot I think called Rob Banahan who led the attack on the liner Rex, they had top cover then but I seem to remember they were American Mustangs who thought they were totally Mad flying in at nearly Zero feet before pulling up to attack the SS Rex.

If you can see the Merlins on the Wellingtons they were in their own Necelle fitted onto where the Radial engine should have been, in that format it must have thrown the cofg a lot further forwards, so would that have caused a lesser bomb load to be carried due to the way heavy ordinance would need to be more rearwards ?

Peter R-B
Lancashire