PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are the official statistics?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2012, 07:07
KAG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you only define "airline pilot" as one who's LHS in a turbofan....
An airline pilot can be a turboprop FO.
Indeed. The exact and correct name could be LHS in a turbofan, agreed. But in this website, I assumed everybody understood the airline pilot job meaning in my post. However we have to be accurate with vocabulary, you are right.

Timescale are only an idea (to counteract the "I want it now!" phenomenon), based on my own experience and my student's. Of course it can vary a lot. Personnaly it took me 7 years, during which I have flown glider, single piston, then multi piston, then multi turbine, then small jet, (Including PIC at each steps) to then get an airline job (LHS turbofan job like the very well known B737 or the A320 as a reference).
It could take 1 day for some (cadet are an example) or never for some others.

Point is to give the information it takes some time to get there, the travel is worth it concerning the experience, the comitment, and the pleasure to think you deserve what you've reached, without paying to work, with a set of skills that might give a safe ride to your passengers and a fast captain upgrade in some airlines that value previous captain experience.

Poeli: I am happy it gives you some ideas... Many options are possible, I didn't, obviously, wrote them all. But the examples I have given are a safe for your walet: depending the authority that will deliver your CPL, glider time, ultra light time count towards your CPL, and towing gliders count towards your CPL PIC time... Many details we cannot mention in a single post.
It's a win win option for the ones who are not in a hurry to get to the top of the mountain and rent an helicopter to do so.

Last edited by KAG; 21st Jan 2012 at 11:22.