PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2012, 05:29
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRC, thank you for that forensic analysis of clues from the 'Eagle Patrol' photo, most impressive, and thanks to Soggy for affirming TRC's hypothesis!

G-ANFH began life in 1953 as a Series 1 Westland Whirlwind subscribed to the factory until purchased by BEA in November 1954.

While with BEA ANFH was involved in a number of route trials for scheduled services including a link between Heathrow and Southampton.

In 1966 the craft appeared in the film 'Murderers' Row' (1966) starring Dean Martin and was involved in shoots in the Isle of Wight and in Monaco. Evidently, at both locations, a hovercraft also appeared and includes one scene in which it drives through the streets of Monte Carlo!

In February 1969 ANFH was bought by Freddie Wilcox (Autair) and sold on to Bristows in April of the same year. While with Bristows ANFH was involved in oil and gas exploration support in the Irish Sea.

In 1959 Anglia Television chartered G-ANFH from BEA as part of their channel launch which took place on 29th October. The ladies touring with the Whirlwind were accorded the title: 'Helibelles'

G-ANFH on tour with Anglia Television in 1959 and seen here with some of her supporting promotional vehicles

G-ANFH wearing her red and white livery [trust me] (date and location unknown)

I have to apologise for the rash of recent images lacking in detail, a hazard (I fear) of collecting older photos. Hopefully here on Nostalgia we may be able to fill-in some of the gaps from time-to-time!