PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cyclone Tracy 1974
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2012, 04:44
O_Wright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darwin GA companies

I've been reading this thread with fascination. Although not directly involved during the cyclone I joined one of the GA outfits in the Top End not long after. At the time I recall Arnhem Air Charter, NT Air Charter and SAATAS being there when the cyclone struck. The owner of NT Air Charter was Graham Ball who now lives on the Gold Coast and may be able to provide some more info for your project. A variety of SAATAS and Arnhem pilots are still in the business and I imagine that once the word gets around they may be able to supply some extra info. John Hardy, a well known DRW GA identity and who still lives in DRW would most surely have some info for you.

As a point of interest I recollect talking to Arthur Reddick who was one of the SAATAS pilots. He was forced to overnight on Melville Island (Pickertaramoor I think) due to deteriorating weather on the eve of the cyclone and next morning was unaware of what had transpired in Darwin. He left for Darwin at dawn but was unable to contact anyone on VHF but was able to talk to Katherine on HF who informed him that there seemed to be a "problem" in DRW. His description to me of what he saw as he arrived over coast north of Darwin is still stuck in my head especially as his wife and kids were down there amongst the debris. They survived. I suspect Arthur flew the first aircraft into DRW and his description via HF was one of the first available to the "outside world".

The evacuation and repair of DRW was an incredible effort and I salute all those involved.