PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus ECAM Exceptions
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2012, 20:10
9.G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g, hold your horses buddy, will ya. Let's get the facts straight here. Firstly wannabes are saying ECAM first no matter what then it turns out OEBs first. Then your riding that Note which is applicable btw only on narrow body airbuses not wide bodies. Computer resets philosophy on 320 is different from 330 or 340 all together. That's why finally airbus has incorporated the reset into OEB on 320. Since you're stuck with that 320 note I take it you haven't flown wide bodies. Here's what 330 computer reset says
The following table, lists the various computers for which manual reset capability is provided :

On the overhead RESET panels
On the system controls panel.
For each computer, effects and/or precaution in case of reset (if any) are also listed.
A computer reset has to be attempted when :
recommended by an ECAM procedure or
recommended by a paper procedure.

In all other circumstances, where a failure is suspected or detected, there is no specific recommendations as to whether a reset should be performed or not, except those where a reset is specifically forbidden.
In other words if it's not forbidden and you think it's gonna solve the problem do it.

Before doing any reset that is not asked by the ECAM, or paper check list, consult the QRH to ensure that it is not forbidden.
Manual reset on ground will trigger complete power up test.
The number of reset attempt is not limited.
How many times did you see ENG Bleed fault on the groung or ENG ANTI ICE fault after turning it off. Guess what, NO ECAM Actions here as a simple ON & OFF does the job and yes it reset the microswitch sending a signal to the associated controlling computer. Reseting a computer isn't exclusively done with a CB I'm sure you're aware of that fact. Operations from hot humid regions to colder ones cause all sorts of computer glitches and all the maintenance folks do is power off and on and off you go. Gimme me a break with your disrespect arie it's a well known fact that being a SFI isn't the same as being line commander. No disrespect meant but we're living in different worlds, theoretical one and practical one. Last but not least I won't have any problems justifying my actions to anyone if they're in the best interest of safety. All I tell you is that Airbus isn't all black and white there's lots of grey.

P.S. just to give you a idea of what the differences between the line ops and theory are is the example with LOW FUEL ECAM Warning on 346. Somewhere below the threshold of computer 5 tons or so you'll have a Xmas tree on ECAM asking you to do transfers from the trim tank forward, from the outer tanks to inner and so forth. It's awfully long ECAM actions but guess what completely useless since there's NO fuel left in those tanks anyways. Now you tell me what you do on final? Do the ECAM actions? This example goes to show you that computers are designed by humans and humans do mistakes. Apply common sense and you'll be fine.

Last edited by 9.G; 20th Jan 2012 at 20:42.