PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAus with 3 POB?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2012, 17:51
baron_beeza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All round the world commercial pax jet operaters allow the carriage of a "Lap Child"
I am sure this is not the case.

Passenger aircraft may have seats, restraint systems etc that are approved and that allow the carriage of a lap child.
The airlines are subject to the requirements of the regulators, just like all other operators. The regulator issues the 'permits' or 'permissions'.
From my experience in airlines, the child restraints were provided in the passenger cabin, - I have not seen an instance of provision to carry a child in the cockpit.

I realise you are not suggesting a child could be sitting on the co-pilot's lap but that is getting more akin to this accident.
The investigators will be looking into seating, possibility of control restrictions, weight and balance etc.
Having the three occupants may indeed have been a causal factor.

To suggest it is ok to carry a child as airlines are permitted to do it is mischievous at least, possibly verging on naivety.

Regarding the lapsed registration, yes, - there does appear to be an issue there.
While we are now seeing reports that the Maintenance was carried out and the registration renewed in August, it may only complicate the issue.

RA Aus records will be under scrutiny... I believe they show the machine was not registered from 2008.

How does that sit with the neighbours comments to the media ?

"He (the pilot) would fly regularly when the weather was suitable and was a very experienced pilot."
Ok, he may have a second aircraft on his property.

If we can only comment on facts....
The boy, 3, suffered multiple lower leg fractures and internal injuries; the woman, 35, sustained abdominal injuries; and the man, 65, who was believed to be the pilot, sustained a large laceration to his knee and a fractured femur, an emergency services spokesman said.
Many media reports were suggesting the mother and child were in critical conditions. This guy has done this to his aircraft and family, you have to feel for them.
Somehow I have the feeling that a thorough investigation will not affect his personal situation so much.
Any outcome will have more far reaching consequences across the aviation community. If the aircraft was on the RA Aus register does that then bring that organisation back into the equation ?

Aircraft register cancellations (xhtml w3c 12/09)

I can foresee a few letters being posted in the coming weeks.
I am sure some owners will not enjoy writing their replies.

Last edited by baron_beeza; 20th Jan 2012 at 18:54.