PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Cadet Pilot - All Batches, Merged
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2012, 14:34
flying.monkeyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear lofty-dreamer, please see my comments below:

Therefore, I am very curious to understand the difference in costs of enrolling in a local flight academy like STATA vs. flight schools in Florida. Why does the CPL in Singapore cost upwards of 120k while in Florida it is around 90k (based on USD69k). Is there really a difference is the quality of STATA (ie. better than those in the US)?
You might want to check and confirm what you will get at the end of your 90k course in Florida. The course offered by CAAS-approved FTOs (e.g. Singapore Flying College, STATA) gets you a CAAS Commercial Pilots Licence (CPL) with Multi Engine (ME) and Instrument Rating (IR), and Air Transport Pilots Licence (ATPL) ground school credits. I'm not sure if you get a ME and IR with the Florida flight school that you checked. Some countries do issue you a bare kosong single-engine CPL with no IR, which of course is no good for any airline job if that's what you're after. Don't get sucked into the low price only to find out that you gotta add and add later.

In terms of quality, it is always a debatable subjective matter. Some pilots will say FAA licences are crap, where others favour the more practical training approach by the Americans. Ultimately it depends on what you are comfortable with, and what you intend to do with a pilot licence. If you want to fly in Singapore, you are better off getting yourself a Singapore licence. STATA and SFC courses are both approved by CAAS so you will get a Singapore CPL/IR/ME at the end. Otherwise you'll run into the headache of foreign-licence conversion, and an almost guaranteed need to re-write all ground school examinations.

I ask this having read numerous posts on how self-sponsored cadets in SIngapore have only a slim chance of landing a flying job locally; would it not make more sense to head overseas where the chances of landing a job is much greater (i.e. assuming that I am willing to relocate to any part of the world where employment is possible and available)?
I have seen a number of self-sponsored cadets in Singapore landing jobs in MI. Those I know hold CAAS CPL, thus no need to convert. All they had to do was not screw up their interviews. They are now undergoing the A320 course. I've yet to come across anyone in Singapore holding a low-hour foreign-licence CPL getting a job here simply because converting the licence is such a pain in the rectum.

My view is that flying jobs are aplenty in this region. The booming LCC segment is pushing demands for experienced pilots through the stratosphere. However raw pilots still find it difficult to secure jobs unless you have thick cables of connections or have extra $$$ to do a type-rating course, and even that doesn't guarantee anything. If you intend to self-sponsor, my suggestion is always have plenty of back-ups and contingencies. Be prepared to do something else while you wait for your opportunity to knock on your door.

One option that most people here don't think about is flight instructing. I heard from sources that STATA are in need of flight instructors and they are willing to subsidize your flight instructor course after your CPL course provided that you are bonded with them for the next few years in Australia doing flight instructing. It is an excellent way to fill up your logbook and most airlines favor recruiting flight instructors as they see potential of being training captains next time. I know a STATA flight instructor who was recently snapped up by MI after instructing for a few years. Money as instructors are not great as most instructors will tell you, but instructors make much better pilots as they are more familiar with raw flying without the autopilots, and thus they constantly do practice manoeuvres such as stalling / steep turns / glide / PFLs / EFATO... etc. How many times do airline pilots do such things with jets?

I fully agree with Stallone. Try out the cadet programs first. Not only those in Singapore (SQ / MI / SQC / 3K / TR), but also Cathay (though it will be difficult if you don't have blonde hair and a British / Australian passport). But do be aware that airline-sponsored cadet programs are very competitive. They only select the creme de la creme. So your academic results must be there. And of course, don't goof the interviews. Throughout the training the airlines will not hesitate to terminate cadet's training at any stage if they deem him as not performing to the airline's standard.

I've been through the path of getting a licence. Many will tell you it's not easy, and often comes with blood, sweat and tears. But if you are determined and passionate about it, one day you will hold that licence in your hand, just as I have. As for jobs, that's the next chapter.

I wish you all the very best in your pursuit of your dreams.