PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why did you learn to fly?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2012, 13:59
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny enough nobody in my family had any interest in aviation nor did we fly at all, only used the train or car to get to our vacation spots. Always wanted to fly anyway though. So i started to draw planes around age 3, build paperplanes around 5, competed in paperplane competitions around 7 or so, then went on to build RC gliders, but never got the hang of that. Finally started to fly glider planes around 14 when i finally was able to save up some money, was solo after 28 starts, during a 2 week summer gliding camp with my club in southern france.

Stayed with gliding for a long time, i wanted to become an airline pilot but at the time i finished my A levels (Abitur over here) it was '92 and lufthansa just fired its first course of student pilots, not a good time. So i did my social service and studied computer science until i got into the lufthansa school in 98 (although i had to pay myself). During my gliding time i was able to pull my elder brother into flying as well and he was actually the first of us both to learn powered flight by getting is touring motorglider licence (back then that was still a standalone PPL).