PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you land on this airstrip?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2012, 12:56
Ultra long hauler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crash one
The voice of my Spanish instructor springs to mind "Kip a centreline, kip a centreline!"
Haha, I am being taught in Spanish actually!

Originally Posted by Crash one
In answer, I'd love to try it. How close are the bushes for a low wing bug smasher?
We have a Kappa Sova as a regular visitor; no sweat.

Originally Posted by Pilot DAR

My smallest "runway" operation would be this one. About 500 feet long, but with adequate approaches.
Gee Whiz……that IS tight……..

Originally Posted by bingofuel
Did you have to push it all the way back again to take off?
Originally Posted by Jan Olieslagers
I reckon that's why he brought his offspring.
Touché……...

Originally Posted by Jan Olieslagers
For the original question: at sea level, my Apollo Fox happily jumps out of 200 metres, so yes I would use it, IF
-) it is not too high
-) you can convince me there's no hidden surprises such as big loose stones, or sudden appearance of hippopotamus or grizzly bear or the like. But as you stated the strip is in regular use I suppose all those dangers have been chased off long since.
Jan, it is at sea level.
There is the old cow next to the airstrip at times; but they can´t hide really; you`ll spot them. I had to do a missed approach only once or twice; hardly ever really. Never been surprised……..
Animals on airstrips are quite usual where we are. When we used to practice touch and go´s at a wider strip in the area; some farmers would release their horses just to get rid of us.

Originally Posted by Dawdler
There is always the apocryphal(?) story of the light aircaft taking off across the runway at Manston.
That is a mild thread drift--> haha!
That is "the widest place you ever landed"…….albeit very short!!

Originally Posted by mary meagher

Didn't get much of a welcome, red landrover rolled up, five guys jumped out and without a word pushed my glider off the runway - their very first ever helicopter emergency was coming in from the oil platform, with one engine out, so they needed the runway, and here was this silly glider plopped down in the middle....
Nice timing!!

Originally Posted by patowalker
It would be quite possible, as Manston had a runway 750 feet wide designed for returning bombers that had suffered battle damage.
Interesting. Did they save air fames (and lives) with that?

###Ultra Long Hauler###