PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - newbie confused about JAR and getting PPL abroad
Old 17th Feb 2002, 06:49
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't worry about the RT or the weather. RT is not that different, ok, so a different accent and slightly different phraseology, but essentially the same. You can learn the differences by reading one of the many books on the subject. Weather....I have seen many different sorts of weather flying in California from embeded thunderstorms, to fog which rolls in in literally minutes, bad turbulence flying over mountains, icing levels down to 2000 feet, rain, wind, and then the infamous LA smog which reduces vis down to several miles. Not to mention the experiences you get with high altitude airports (depending on which part of the US) and high density altitudes.

As far as your PPL goes, I would recommend getting the JAR PPL in the States, for these reasons:-

1) You may now THINK you are going to fly most of your hours in the UK, but in reality you may spend a lot more flying in the US. (Happend to me anyway).. .2) The FAA will issue a licence on the basis of the JAR licence for free.. .3) LOADS cheaper...compare $75 per hour for an Archer to GBP117 per hour in the UK....and there are no landing fees etc etc in the US.. .4) you have a JAR licence and so CAN fly in the UK.

Its certainly easier to learn to fly in the US and then go back later on to fly there on holiday, than it is to learn in the UK and go over the pond for a flying holiday.

Good luck...

EA

[ 17 February 2002: Message edited by: englishal ]</p>