PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EZY Captain v VAA F/O
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2012, 10:07
beauport potato man

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Very interesting thread - as I'm also an EZY captain and always thought I would like to end up at VAA.... but how things have changed. Like many here I know a few people who have been at the bottom end of the seniority when the axe has been swung, some went back and some didn't. The ones who went back aren't planning to stay at VAA for long - with some even saying that (and i know its not possible at the moment) that if they could take a direct LHS at EZY then they'd jump at it.

I agree with previous posters that VAA has just missed out on the last game in town, BMI. What can they do now? New routes usually come at the expense of others so limited expansion, no alliance, aging thirsty fleet, trading heavily on the brand with actual on board experience falling very short (read airlinequality website for proof!)
Its hard to see where they go next? And as far as careers go, i'd need balls of steel to leave the security and salary of EZY to join the bottom of the VAA seniority with a command so far in the future that retirement would probably happen first.

I'd look at the other options where you are, look at Northern base transfers (MAN will be a huge base in a few years) or once the euro troubles have calmed maybe a base abroad.
Thats my career plan now, i'm on the LYS list, with the Alps near by, good food & wine, excellent rail & road connections, cheaper property, strong industial employee relations, and a very good salary package.