PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happened to the "impossible turns" thread?
Old 19th Jan 2012, 23:03
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a big difference between armchair discussions and reality. For me the biggest no no is fixating on achieving a landing spot in event of an engine failure.
How many pilots have lost control or hit trees because they have fixated on a landing spot ahead and ignored perfectly good fields left and right because they think they have to land into wind!
Or for that matter been too high and fixating on the landing spot in the field ended up 20kts too fast sailing down the selected field into the trees at the end!
We also talk often about a stabilised approach! How does a turnback classify as a stabilised approach.
The main thing is to keep the ship flying at all cost.
Many here may not yet have been in a bad situation. Those who have will tell you how a real situation is very different from a forum discussion while you sip another glass of wine in front of the computer.
Your best chance of success is as stable an approach as possible which means pegged airspeed and as little to disturb the aircraft profile as possible selecting flap land only when assured of that landing!how does a panic high bank turn achieve that?
All I would add is that on that stabilised approach going for your landing spot monitor other alternatives left and right if your profile goes pear shaped throw it away and continue your stabilised approach to a new landing spot left or right but not behind All that will achieve is a messy approach and an even more panicky and disorientated pilot now landing with the worst state of a tailwind thrown into the pot.
Tailwind = Higher speed over the ground into whatever you are going to hit.
High bank =confusion and greater chance of a stall spin.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 19th Jan 2012 at 23:17.