PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happened to the "impossible turns" thread?
Old 19th Jan 2012, 17:28
n5296s

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
but if you are flying from one of the few with no realistic options, IMHO it is good to know what you and your aircraft will do
Couldn't have said it better myself. That was certainly MY motivation for understanding this manouevre better and seeing how it works in practice.

As for the "not in front of the children" mindset... where do you stop? What about aerobatics - a frequent source of fatalities among people who decide to try it without instruction or the right aircraft. So should we ban all talk of aerobatics just in case some 50 hour PPL decides to take their PA28 and try to fly a Lomcevak?

This particular thread says "don't try this, don't do this" every third post. That said, there are those of us on here who - while certainly not being "hotshot pilots" (not me anyway) - have enough experience and curiosity to want to know what would happen if this really was the only option, or at least the best one.

You could apply the same thinking to spin training. Arguably many of these sad cases of stall/spin accidents wouldn't happen if people had flown a few spins and weren't thrown into complete panic the first time it happens to them. (Personally I'm a huge advocate of requiring spin training prior to a pilot's first BFR or equivalent). Yet it doesn't happen because it's "too dangerous" (and I probably shouldn't be talking about it in front of the children, whoever they may be).

At the end of the day it's only flying. The airframe doesn't know you're at 200 AGL. And you can always practice at altitude - should in fact, if you're going to do anything. Only when you're VERY comfortable with hairy-edge-of-stall-in-steep-bank flying with a few thousand feet of air under you should you even contemplate doing it closer to the ground.