PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hercules questions
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2012, 15:31
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Father Jack Hackett
I haven't flown Albert for a few years, but I think I can recall the fundamentals so here goes....

The No. 1 (port outboard) is the critical engine. This is due to the thrust line of the engines being offset slightly to the starboard, due to some sort of progression jiggery pokery (that Aero Eng degree didn't do me much good) resulting from the clockwise (viewed from the aft) rotation of the props. Therefore the live No. 4 (starboard outboard) engine would produce more of a yawing moment than if the situation were reversed.

In terms of the approach, I believe it was better to have a crosswind from the right, as during asymmetric handling with the critical engine failed, one would have both right rudder trim and up to 5 degrees right-wing-down ("5 to the live") aileron trim to balance the asymmetry. However, a crosswind from the left (failed side) favoured handling on the landing roll as the weather-cocking effect would ameliorate the asymmetric drag effect of the No.4 being in flight-idle, then ground idle while the inboards are in reverse and the failed prop is feathered/stopped.

Again, my recall is a bit rusty, but I believe it was considered preferable to take a crosswind from the left as the after-landing effects were trickier to deal with than the effects of crosswind on approach.

Standing by to be shot down by my former colleagues.....
Aircraft seems to handle a crosswind from either side about the same in my experience.

You want a significant crosswind from the dead engine side for the approach. For example, with a strong right crosswind on landing, you need a significant amount of left rudder on the landing roll. If #4 engine is feathered(#1 is the critical engine), after touchdown when the props are brought into beta, the large amount of asymmetric drag from the #1 prop will swing to the left meaning that less rudder input is needed and helping you, so you can ease off rudder input.

Don't forget to quickly put in a bunch of counteracting aileron as the aircraft will roll as well due to a lot more lift on the feathered engine side as the airflow is not disturbed behind the feathered prop(and the crosswind tending to lift the upwind wing combined with the narrow gear track). If you land in the opposite direction, you have the crosswind, asymmetric drag and a turning moment from the roll(if allowed to develop) pulling you to the side of the runway.

It is correct that the high boost pressure is from a microswitch in the flap lever at 15°. That is why, you select the flap lever to 20° even if you have no hydraulics to operate the flaps(or flaps not operating for another reason) such as engines 1 and 2 inoperative. Or a broken flap cable detected(civilian Herc).

Last edited by JammedStab; 19th Jan 2012 at 20:25.