PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scottish Independence
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2012, 15:26
theredbarron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I tried to do was bring some basic truths into this but clearly some of you are not mature enough yet for that and still think the whole thing is some sort of joke. Sorry to disillusion you: this is for real - it is happening - it is almost certain that Scotland will become an independent nation again.

If I'm right then in less than three years time our political masters on both sides of the border are going to have to sit down and apportion out the UK's defence assets (and all other UK assets and liabilities for that matter) between Scotland and the new Union of England Wales and N. Ireland in a ratio of roughly 8.5% to 91.5%.

It would be nice to hear some of our serving officers contributing to that debate in a serious way. Defence planners here in Scotland are looking at these issues right now and perhaps some of them even peruse this forum. For example, what would best meet Scotland's Air Defence capability - is a single squadron of Typhoons viable or not? Should they perhaps operate with England in a unified air defence command a la Norad? What is the best option for an MPA and do you think it ought to have an ASW capability? How many needed? There are a lot questions needing answered, all the better by serving officers than politicians.

Contributions gentlemen please.

Edit for andyy: England will automatically take ownership of all defence installations there, Scotland will take ownership of all installations here. There would be no question of either paying to rebuld or move installations, certainly not of the scale of Coulport. I suspect through that the wiley old fox (aka Alex Salmond) will give England a good deal on the rent for ten years or so until you do build a replacement in the Thames Estuary but get bolshie and you're up the creek without a paddle (or missile for that matter!)