PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Pilots Ponder BMI Proposal
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2012, 09:55
Sgt Wilson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Studi

From Wirbelsturm

Should we really 'gift' IAG with BMI to transform instantly into BA Express with 30 aircraft and crews? Nope. When BMI is integrated then we have a stronger position to prevent BA from starting up its 'BA Express' as the Scope clause covers the airframes and the crews and they cannot transfer the airframes back.
The scope clause covers hulls not slots, so it is always possible to transfer slots to BA lite whichever way the vote goes. By integrating BMI, the BMI hulls would be covered by scope, IAG would have made enough savings to satisfy them for the moment, but would also make it much more difficult for them to set up a BA lite in the future, as they would not have the ready made airline complete with a useful portfolio of slots that they have with BMI.

What are the alternatives? Vote no and gamble that it's a big bluff and that IAG will integrate anyway? Or encourage the BMI guys with all their new joiners to go on strike from the sidelines for BA terms and conditions, whilst knowing that not only would it be illegal for us to assist by secondary action, but that also we would probably be rostered to cover some of their work.

Contrary to the Count's assertions, I would not be comfortable with being so selfish.

On that, the senior guys in BA LHS long haul, by voting yes to this, have the least IMO to gain. They will still have long haul commands until they retire, albeit with diminishing choice of destinations, but most will be gone before that bites so will be giving up two days leave for the benefit of short haul and yet every one that I have spoken to is willing to do that for the greater good.

Count

BA's flight crew scoff at the cabin crew dispute, as if the setting up of Mixed Fleet was a defeat. What is conveniently overlooked is that BA's assault on the UK's largest union branch was simply union busting.
It was a defeat, no ifs.
It wasn't union busting, BASSA busted themselves.

Only a lunatic would suggest that "rampant militant BASSA members who wanted the company to fold anyway".
Many Cabin Crew I flew with stated that they would prefer the company to fold than negotiate with Willie. Pretty unequivocal. Were they lunatics for saying it or was I for listening?