PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accident nr Lake Vyrnwy Hotel, Wales
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2012, 09:31
Aucky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Powerlimited - But, I still stand by my comments required coming to an HOGE downwind, surely no one can justify this as sensible for a spot of lunch?
Most downwind approaches effectively lead to an HOGE whether you like it or not (given that a 10kt tailwind will leave you with 0 airspeed across the disc with 10kts of groundspeed on the approach), thats why we need to be very aware that we're downwind, aware that we'll lose TX lift earlier than usual, and aware that if you don't have sufficient power to HOGE + a reasonable margin that you'll get yourself in trouble (Settling with power, Vortex ring, and Over pitching/low rpm/heavy landing), however with sufficient skill, awareness and power it doesn't have to be so dangerous as to be prohibitive. You have a low airspeed for longer on the approach and need to keep your ROD under control accordingly, and be ready to catch any loss of TX lift before you start to sink. When hovering OGE stationary with respect to the ground it makes no difference that we are downwind, and you may even have a little translational lift form behind, the disc doesn't know which way were looking. I would suggest that any license holder that doesn't clearly understand the effects mentioned above and who is reading this should certainly not be attempting such manoeuvres without further training and appreciation of the effects of approaching from downwind, and should not be interpreting my comments as saying that it's easy or "go for it", as has been mentioned, there's probably a better field nextdoor And in general down wind approaches can be demanding enough without making the landing area a confined one.

And then you have to get back out of the site, which would pose the same issues only in reverse.
If that approach was really chosen because it's the best/clearest/safest entry option downwind, then you could probably depart the opposite track into wind Potentially more dangerous is getting into this site into wind (nice and easy perhaps) but having to depart with the opposite track (downwind, and perhaps lacking forethought unaware of it due to the shelter of the trees and lunch time interval) maybe vertical, then loosing TX lift from behind as an acceleration is attempted and getting a little close for comfort to the trees in front. At least you have time to think about a downwind approach with the initial recce...

Last edited by Aucky; 19th Jan 2012 at 09:45. Reason: addition