PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happened to the "impossible turns" thread?
Old 19th Jan 2012, 06:27
ChrisVJ

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
I have real concerns even discussing the "Turn back option."

I have no doubt that a well trained, well practiced pilot can, in some circumstances, turn back for an EFATO. However I also take on board the traps, practice is not the real thing, manoevres close to the ground may seem different to practice at safe height etc.

All three people I have known personally lost to GA aviation accidents were lost to stall/spin at low level and one of them, an experienced guy flying his own plane was an EFATO attempted turn back.

My first instructor was adamant. For EFATO land straght ahead, ploughed field, trees etc, land straight ahead.

In general I approve of all sorts of discussion on Pprune, however this discussion seems full of danger. There may be those who see the discussion and come to consider turning back as a legitimate option 'on the day' though it is either beyond them, beyond their aircraft or beyond their circumstances, even taking the time to think about it may cause unacceptable consequences.

Once upon a time the world was a simpler place. Instructions were clear and we all accepted them. Nowadays it seems there is always someone who promotes another idea and usually thats OK, but for this discussion I have serious reservations.

However that's just my opinion.