PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRS equipped plane for training
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2012, 00:42
Pilot DAR

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
I'm not so sure that it's negativity, so much as it's a feeling that it's cautious to the extreme. For me, it's akin to saying that you'd like to learn to fly in a twin, so as to reduce the chance that an engine failure would result in a forced landing. Fine, if you're willing to spend the money, but it still does not protect you from runing out of fuel.

Every time there's a new innovation, there's a group who say that you can't do without it - well we did before...

My relaxed feeling about this comes from flying 6300 hours in 223 airplanes and helicopters in 36 years, and never once thinking that I needed to abandon the flight. Many other posters here would have greater numbers than those. I was made to wear a chute while flying jumpers, only in case a jumper hit and damaged the plane on the way out - I imagine I still would have tried to land it. The worst thing that's ever happened to me in association with flying, was walking away from the plane after tying it down, and slipping on the ice, falling, and hitting my head really hard on the ice. I suppose I should have worn a helmet!

I have never taken military flight training, but I am imagining there is a whole extra session, where the pilot is taught: "okay, there may come a time when flying is no longer an option, in that case, count to one, and pull this handle". It's the "fight or flee" instinct. Civil flight training teaches fight, but not flee. Perhaps a class in "flee" would do me some good, though it was only while flying jumpers have I ever worn a 'chute. (although flying the Tiger Moth last month, I sat on it, but I think it had not been inspected for more than 8 years, so I did not fasten it up).

I would worry that a pilot who was trained that BRS was a normal equipment expectation, would simply feel naked in an aircraft without it. I'm sure Cirrus loves this philosophy, but there is a whole lot of really fun flying you're going to miss out on, if you will fly in a BRS equipped aircraft.

It's not intended as a criticism of your stated preference, but an observation that you might miss out on what we enjoy the most about flying....