PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFATO
Thread: EFATO
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2012, 00:08
n5296s

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
obsessing about the Turn back
Well, I'm not sure I'd call 2 hours of flying, when I just felt like flying and din't have anything very specific to do, exactly OBSESSING. Just speaking for myself here. I do do all those other things too...
Don't single engine helicopters not have a similar graph for that part of the flight envelope where you cannot survive an engine out
Indeed. It's generally called the Dead Man Zone, just in case the meaning isn't obvious. But, unlike taking off in an aeroplane, it is avoidable. You don't HAVE to hover at 200'. (Well, actually for quite a lot of heli missions, e.g. long-line work, you do, but that's too bad). Whereas you do HAVE to be at 200' and Vy in an aeroplane, if you want to fly it at all.

Different topic: over on the Cessna Pilots Association, there was some discussion about how trim plays into all this. As in, you're 15-20 degrees nose up at Vy, and the engine stops. Suppose you just let go of all the controls. What happens? Some time soon, the plane will be flying at Vy (assuming you were trimmed in the first place). It may have lost a bit of altitude getting there, but it won't be stalled. I'll give this a try next time I get a chance.

I still don't really see how you get a real developed stall doing this, except maybe trying to arrest the descent close to the runway. I was actually surprised at how benign things were pulling back below stall speed in a descending turn. But clearly people do :-(