PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pilots: Is Anybody Interested in Being One? (AVWEB)
Old 18th Jan 2012, 22:50
Trojan1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Autopilots ruins it?
Hey guys,
Do you guys find the job kinda boring, especially on the long haul flights, because your sitting there for a few hours at a time staring at an instrument panel? I know single and small twins are kinda different, I'm just after a general view for most commercial aircraft. I suppose it beats staring at a computer all day though.
There is more to a pilot career than flying the aeroplane.
What about flight preparation, keeping up with the latest techniques, rules and laws?

Being a pilot, even a recreational one, isn't for the mentally lazy. There is ALWAYS something new to learn. Always something to keep the brain occupied.

Sure sitting up the front of a high speed test tube isn't for everyone, but there is more to aviation than hauling self moving freight.
That's very true Jas, I think the point of the original article in the first post of this thread is that aviation is attracting the mentally lazy and otherwise unsuitable to it's ranks, and losing those better suited to other industries.

I do love aviation, but have never understood the attraction of the airlines. My favorite moments in aviation have been when I was flying at low level over bushfires, through valleys in Timor carrying supplies or MEDEVACs, dropping supplies and life rafts to the crew of sunken yachts and dropping LAPES platforms from Caribous flying at 6' AGL in firebreaks. Never has cruising S & L in the flight levels held any appeal. So yes, I should be out, and hopefully will be soon. It has nothing to do with not putting in the hard yards though.

Di Vosh, you are quite right with regard to other professions and greener pastures. My wife has perhaps had a charmed run since graduation. She is on six figures after just four years in the legal industry and only works 9-5 Monday to Friday; with every weekend and public holiday off. That's working for a very large company (approx. 400,000 employees).

For those of you that do fly airliners, or desire to, what is it that attracts you to it? I have asked friends who fly them but I never get a straight answer. One who flies Dash 8s likes the hand flying and short sectors. Another who flies A320s says it's all about picking up women! (he has sacrificed a LOT to get there). So what is it for you guys?