PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFATO
Thread: EFATO
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2012, 22:02
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by BackPacker
Well, I guess the process is no different than trying to create a graph for, let's say, landing distance. You first figure out what the proper and achievable technique is. You then figure out the baseline results for ISA conditions, MTOW, nil wind etc. And from there you start figuring out what sort of difference different conditions make.

Having seen, and worked with the landing distance graphs in the PA28 POH, I am convinced that it should not be beyond the average PPL to use a more or less similar multi-step graph to figure out the turnback height. But you are right: That graph will be aircraft-specific. Although the research may yield some generic results that would make it easy to adapt the graphs to different aircraft.

And I would not be surprised if the eventual graph contained a "here be dragons" area or something like that. Meaning: Do not go here or there's absolutely no way out. Don't single engine helicopters not have a similar graph for that part of the flight envelope where you cannot survive an engine out (because you're too low and slow for autorotation, but high enough to end up dead)? Pilot training should then simply be about risk mitigation and avoidance of those circumstances.
The easiest way to mitigate the risk is not to turn back below 1000 feet AGL a simple easy number to remember and conservative enough to work pretty much all the time.

Risk mitigation is fine but if you want to be holistics about mitigating the risk then you should mitigate the risks for the whole flight. Instead of obsessing about the Turn back between 400 feet and 1000 feet I think the time and energy should be spent on other areas which experience has shown is much more likely to present a risk to a flight like

-practicing the very late overshoot, or

-short field takeoff and landings including a practical stratagy for determining a go no go point, or

-practicing the 180 degree turn on instruments that you would use on an inadvertant IMC encounter, or

-determinimg exactly what your cruise fuel burn with a series of planned test flights etc etc..........