PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KLM for sale
Thread: KLM for sale
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2012, 21:08
Capetonian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KLM is not the source of AFKLM's problems. It is Air France.
I worked for KLM as a contractor round the time of the takeover/merger and we had combined teams from the two airlines on the project. Some of the things that the KLM people said about AF, the French, and particularly about French working practices are not repeatable here, nor in polite company. It was clear - rather like the Euro - that the fusion between these two totally different cultures was a marriage made in hell and doomed to failure.

The Dutch are hard working, they build bridges rather than barriers, they speak perfect English, they are able to be relaxed and professional at the same time, they arrived at meetings punctually and ready to work and move the project forward. My most vivid memory was of one of the French colleagues picking up a report with which he disagreed, tearing it up, and spitting at the person (an external consultant, and a female, which makes it even worse) who had written it.

I am surprised that the combination has worked as well it has for so long. Despite all that, Air France is an excellent airline in the air, but let down on the ground and particularly at CDG by poor customer service.