PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pilots: Is Anybody Interested in Being One? (AVWEB)
Old 18th Jan 2012, 12:05
jas24zzk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Di Vosh!

The problem of comparing careers is that no-one ever looks at the complete picture. Everyone just sees dollar signs *, guaranteed employment, or whatever they want to see without seeing any downside.

* (taken from the latest tabloid press about what that profession earns)

Has it occurred to some of you that in a mythical place like PDrRuNe or PLLBRuNe there are doctors and lawyers complaining about their work and how they should become a pilot because we all earn $500k p.a. and work 25 hours per week?

It's obvious that some of you guys have absolutely no idea about other professions, except what you get from the media. (And we know how accurate the media are... )

I know a few Doctors and Lawyers and I was an I.T. professional for 18 years. Trust me; it's not all rosy in those professions.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Its a serious case of 'the grass is always greener'

If you ever want to know what career NOT to enter, ask someone in it.
The guys sitting around here blowing steam about everything bad that is aviation, have probably never worked at another career.

I can sit here for hours and tell you everything bad about panel beating, and why you should never let your kids enter the industry.......as i sit here nursing my hand injury that has healed enough now to reveal how much nerve damage i inflicted. Instead, i'll do a short comparison.

PB. I start the day clean, end it filthy.
Fly. I start the day clean, end it clean

PB. I have to kneel down for extended periods, and struggle to stand again.
Fly. I might have to kneel down to check something in my preflight, but I am not down long enough that my knees seize up.

PB. Every job/task carries an injury risk. At last count, there are over 45 stitches in my body directly related to work. (we won't count the ones from growing up)
Fly. Your biggest injury risk is RSI from writing, falling off a wing or having a cowl whack you in the back of the head, because you were too lazy to secure it properly whilst doing your engine checks.

PB. Customers that think they know something about what you do, and ask you to do the impossible....i.e make something fit that not even the factory can get perfect....read.. all you commodore owners, go and have a CLOSE look at how well the front and rear bars fit. then try telling your repairer it fitted better than that from new!
Fly. You only have to get your customers to their destination intact. they won't complain...not to you anyway, and they won't ask you to do the impossible.

Management...same for both careers.

Any career is what you make of it.