PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do you pressurize hydraulics before pushback (744)
Old 18th Jan 2012, 08:33
RandomPerson8008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Safety-wise, I was referring to inadvertent actuation of the nosewheel steering in case there was a problem with the lockout pin. I suppose this possibility is remote enough that it is not a major concern. My operator doesn't do flight control checks during pushback and usually not engine starts either so those reasons didn't come to mind initially. They are of course, valid reasons, in addition to the need for brakes and body gear steering.

A related question: Why do all the 744's (at least the ones I've flown) have a #4 aux pump while only some have the #1 aux pump? Obviously the aux pumps are there to supplement the relatively limited bleed capabilities of the APU's bleed air and prevent it from having to supply the Air Driven #1 and #4 pumps during engine start. Is the #1 aux pump just a nice luxury that some operators elected to pay for in their orders from Boeing or is there a reason why some planes need it (pax, BCF) and others don't (freighter)?

Thanks again.