PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ethiopian airlines aircraft down near Beirut
Old 18th Jan 2012, 05:32
Sqwak7700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe, but one need only read the CVR transcript and ATC tapes to know that there was not even the slightest chance of sabotage. Just two inept individuals doing something beyond their abilities. Flying is not hard when things are going smooth, but incompetence kills you very quickly when things start going pear-shaped. The task load then goes up exponentially and it is exacerbated by the threat of personal harm, unlike other professions were the stress is not accompanied by threat to oneself.

The fact that Ethiopian mentions eye-witness reports of a fireball in the sky is laughable. Everybody who knows even the slightest thing about aviation accidents and eyewitnesses would know that it is very common to have such reports, even when there is no sign of fire. It is a psychological phenomenon due to the speed of the events, and you often see it with race car crashes as well. Besides, since when do aircraft accident reports rely on eyewitness accounts to tell them what happened?

I've always known to stay away from traveling on most African carriers, but I thought some were a little more progressive than this. What an embarrassment to aviation this airline is. I have a hard time understanding why they are not on a black list. Their reaction to this investigation shows a complete lack of any safety culture, not to mention the other blaring safety concerns exposed in the investigation.