PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2012, 05:23
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1982 was a rough year for Mil accidents .. in April there was the two cab pile-up involving Wessex Mk 5's (XT464 and XT473 from 845 Naval Air Squadron) on South Georgia island during their attempt to extract SAS troops.

Soldiers from D Squadron SAS approach a crashed Wessex in appalling conditions on Fortuna Glacier, South Georgia Island. The surviving Wessex (to the right) was soon to perish as well, resulting in an epic feat of airmanship by the crew of "Humphrey", a third Wessex, to evacuate the men from the glacier

As I have mentioned several times previously, I depend on a small army of photographers to help me illuminate this thread. In all but the rarest of cases when I post an image with the photographer's name mentioned - that person has been solicited for permission to post on this forum and the link to the thread forwarded to the photographer once the image is posted. I must say that almost all the photographers I have approached have been most accommodating and which has been of encouragement.

As a result I have increasingly come to appreciate the efforts of those who are happy to support our merry trip down rotary-memory-lane!

I would like to introduce Graham Bunn (who gave permission to use the image of Bristow's G-AXKE above). Graham's father spent many years as an amateur photographer and amassed a formidable collection of aviation images of which Graham is now custodian. Sadly, Graham's father (now 79) is quite poorly and so, with this post goes out our best wishes for his recovery.

Graham is keen to obtain a little more information about some of the rotary images in his collection and, as a result, I shall be featuring a number of them here on Nostalgia in the hope that we may be able to come up with some helpful responses.

Quite a number of Graham's photos feature a location (the same as that shown in the image of G-AXKE) which is, as yet, unidentified .. and which I would like to identify. If anyone recognises this paddock flanked by what appears to be a fairly distinctive tree line, please do let us know.

Another one of Graham's images: Enstrom F28A G-BAWI landing at our mystery location and being marshalled by what appear to be Army Cadets? (Photo: Graham Bunn)

Using the dates of G-AXKE's return to Britain (1973-75) as a parameter, one observes that BAWI was registered to Cy Rose in April 1973 and sold on in January 1977. Perhaps the inimitable Dennisimo is accompanying Cy in the shot above!

I was at first going to take a stab at the location being Ascot but now think it could be the Carshalton Carnival?